Many people, especially athletes looking to stay strong and healthy, use fitness supplements to help boost their overall health and performance in the gym. Fitness supplements can be very helpful when used safely, however, they can also have negative side effects, especially when used over a long period of time. Many people recommend only consuming fitness supplements when you really need them, and cutting back on them once you feel satisfied with the results. What you decide to do with your fitness supplement routine is really up to you and your personal needs. However, here are some of the pros and cons of taking a fitness supplement for an extended period of time to help you make a good decision.
- Fitness supplements can help athletes get the protein levels that they need to be healthy when working out frequently. When you spend so much of your day being active, you need to consume higher calorie levels to maintain your energy and fitness levels. However, your diet should still contain certain ratios of protein, carbohydrates, and fats, which can sometimes be difficult to meet naturally.
- Fitness supplements are very easy and quick to take for athletes who are constantly busy and on-the-go. If you don’t have time to sit down and eat before or after a workout, a protein shake or bar may be more convenient. They also might be easier to consume if you struggle with low appetite after an intense workout.
- They can help you maintain a healthy weight over time. Keeping a diet that is high in protein has been show to help people lose weight, and also makes it easier to keep it off over time. This is because protein keeps you full for longer and has a positive effect on your metabolism.
- Taking fitness supplements over a long period of time can put strain on your kidneys, because many of them contain ingredients that get filtered out through these organs. This can lead to more health problems in the future, and even kidney failure in extreme cases.
- Some fitness supplements can have serious side effects, and these build up over a long period of time. This can be very harmful, especially for those who have other health conditions. Although protein supplements can make you feel great at first, over time you might notice things like bloating, nausea, and fatigue. They also run the risk of reacting negatively with any other medication that you take.
- Fitness supplements can get very expensive when purchased over and over again. If you rely on a supplement for protein, you are likely spending much more money on it than you would to acquire the protein naturally through your diet. Over time, this could add up to thousands of dollars.
- Many health experts and authorities have determined that you don’t actually need fitness supplements to be healthy. You can obtain the ingredients in high-quality supplements naturally through a varied diet. Although they work well for a quick boost, they might not be what you need to stay healthy over time.